English football stadia

The elusive "92 Club", something of a holy grail for the English football fan.

Since my move to Czech Republic, my opportunities to add to my collection have obviously become limited.

But my first visit to Elland Road in February 2018 inspired me to see how far I'd actually got.

34 so far...

Arsenal
I’m pretty sure I did Highbury, though I can’t remember the details now. But I’ve definitely done the Emirates a couple of times. I went with a mate to a midweek game against Charlton (I think), and my abiding memory was deliberately waiting until we get to our seats (right up the back) before turning around. When we finally did, the view was frankly stunning.
Aston Villa
went with Sheff Wed mates to watch a League Cup match
Barnsley
did Oakwell on my own while I was at uni in Sheffield. It was part of Brentford’s Great Escape under Martin Allen, with Jay Tabb scoring a stunning goal (lost to the internet) bursting through from the halfway line. Otherwise my main memory was having a joint en route, and then walking with the crowds from the train station to the stadium - there was one bit where you turned and suddenly you were walking down a long road with the stadium in sight at the end. I was surrounded by loads of home fans and felt a bit conspicuous and paranoid!
Bournemouth
a fun day out but a painful visit, as Brentford’s attempts to gain automatic promotion in 2005-06 finally gave up and died. I don’t really recall the game now! But I know it didn’t go well. Nice pub beforehand. Should’ve gone there previously for a New Year’s Day game but had to pull out and suffer a very lame start to 2005 with a 24-hour stomach bug.
Brentford
the stadium I’ve visited more than any other!
Bristol City
been more than once, but a bit vague on the details now. Remember seeing us get spanked 4-1 there, which reminds me really that I’ve been lucky enough not to see us get spanked often.
Cambridge
ah well, that was a great day out - my first Brentford away game! Watching us secure the fourth division title back in 1999 with Lloyd Owusu netting the winner. Great day, great celebrations, marred a touch by all getting back to Brentford (on the supporters coach cos it was my first time) and waiting around the ground (in a party atmosphere) with rumours that the team would come and celebrate with us… Before word eventually got around that no, they wouldn’t. Pity.
Charlton
FA Cup 2006 - sadly the wheels were coming off a bit, so we were a bit abject and easily beaten. Bit of a pain to get away from, so I think in the end me and a few mates had a BIG night due to slowly getting wrecked on the way home.
Chelsea
definitely been there, can’t recall when or why now. It would’ve been before they were such a big club, and the stadium was probably a bit different to how it is now.
Cheltenham
an interesting day out at Whaddon Road. We were at university and the idea came up, a stoner mate who came from Cheltenham said “I’ll take you and see the folks, do a few bits”. So it was a good road trip but we were cutting it a bit fine… And then we went from house to house and starting cutting it very fine… Until at about 2:55 we said “mate, game’s about to start!” He took us through side streets and back alleys and we got there (about 20 minutes late!). The game was terrible and had my mate cursing us for wasting his    time(!!), then of course Cheltenham bundled home a last-minute goal to take the 1-0 victory. Anyway the journey back was fun too - my mate had picked up an ounce of green along the way, all bagged up individually and tucked in his inside pocket of his jacket, and he proceeded to speed along the motorway in his Audi convertible. Us strait-laced fellas started to sweat a little at the prospect of arousing attention, but of course we got back without incident.
Crystal Palace
my second-most visited ground after Griffin Park. Palace beating Swindon in 1989 with two goals in a minute was my first ever game, with Mark Bright and Ian Wright up-front. Within moments of me turning up, the Eagles got to their first ever FA Cup Final (1990) and then their highest ever finish (3rd in 1991), but they also got thrashed 9-0 at Liverpool, which me and Dad listened to on Capital Gold back in 1989 before the defeat was avenged later in the season in one of the great FA Cup semi-finals. Palace got promoted in my first season and played Man Utd at home in midweek in their first game back in the top flight - I was there to see the unveiling of the high-tech (!!) electronic scoreboards, with their lame GOAL! graphic being exercised by Wright and Bryan Robson that night. My last game at Selhurst was a nondescript 0-0 against Birmingham - my dad no longer enjoyed the experience of going to a match, even though it was great to spend the time together.
Everton
went to see Everton coast past Leyton Orient in the FA Cup, only time I ever saw Gazza play live.
Gillingham
two trips to Kent to see one match, with the first being postponed just before kick-off. We killed time in a few pubs before heading back, but frankly it was a weird place. The second time was good fun with some entertaining company, but the game itself was a midweek battle with our promotion-chasers tearing themselves apart in front of a big anxious bees following in their horrible metal “temporary” (now semi-permanent) away stand.
Grimsby
really fun trip to do (easier for us from Sheffield), but we lost and Cleethorpes really did stink of fish.
Huddersfield
got there a few times, including a great battle between two promotion-chasers where Sam Sodje almost scored a sensational goal (they almost bagged a worldie too, it was a cracking game!). I remember going there for the opening game one season and we won with Jamie Fullarton scoring, and we were singing (to “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” by Frankie Valli) “Your season’s over! A-lalala, your season’s over! A-lalala…” - great fun at the time, and they actually did end up getting relegated too!
Leeds
recently added on a trip with my uncle and cousins – unfortunately, very poor, nondescript game. Great evening catching up with family though!
Luton
a couple of trips including a great FA Cup win. Very close to the home fans, always a worry for someone as conspicuous as myself! One of the trips, we arrived early and went to a pub near the station, just a few of us and mostly in Brentford shirts. We were there just after it opened, but after two or three beers we noticed that it had filled up and that the patrons… did not particularly appreciate our presence. We hastily moved on.
Man Utd
i was studying in Sheffield when a friend (who went on to become a Brentford director for a while) offered me use of his company’s season tickets (as they didn’t have a client to entertain). I went with Chris and it became a legendary night, with Chris going for 5-0 on his bet and celebrating wildly (while the rest of the crowd clapped politely) as Paul Scholes strode through to bag the fifth in the last few minutes. That covered our petrol, one of Chris’s mates was working as a steward and managed to find us to sneak us both one of the leftover pies (half-decent at Old Trafford, as you’d expect), and we went back to that bloke’s place after the match for a joint. So a glorious free day out (even if Chris’s stoned driving on the journey back along the notorious “Snake Pass” was slightly terrifying!)
Mansfield
another Chris trip, not quite as memorable as above! Went to see Leyton Orient, and the home team won comfortably.
Millwall
went to a Brentford preseason friendly (assuming no aggro!), but had my nose broken by an elbow while playing football in the morning! Got it for a proper match in the end too, another random FA Cup match - actually saw Scunthorpe again, the same season as I saw them at Doncaster (below) and after they beat Brentford in Round 2. Millwall was actually the closest ground to where I lived for a good six months or so, but it was a slightly scary area so I didn’t pop down at all!
Notts County
as most fans know, there is a Hooters within walking distance of Meadow Lane, so a load of people went up early and enjoyed a good 2-3 hours drinking in there. It was fantastic fun for a young man, for sure. I remember that someone I knew worked as one of the radio commentators and said that he saw there were only about 50 Brentford fans at 3pm, and then about 350-400 when he looked five minutes later - we’d all missed the start, hanging on for as long as possible in the pub! It was great on the pitch too, coming back from two down with two late goals, with Marks Williams and McCammon having some of their best moments in Bees shirts.
Notts Forest
similar to above of course, although Hooters wasn’t quite as good and we made it up for it by drinking more, which wasn’t advisable too. A friend came over at half-time to let us know that stewards were pointing us out to colleagues and consulting each other over what to do (I think we were collectively slumping and sprawling over a load of nearby seats). We straightened ourselves up a bit and survived, and the Bees won in a famous away day, so it all worked out well!
Oldham
Coldham, aka Ice Station Boundary Park. Went three times I think, including a gutless display just before a painful transfer deadline. And yes it was bloody cold and grim.
QPHa
definitely went as a youngster (with a group of other kids and a well-meaning adult or two - the details are hazy). But certainly went during the irritating period when they finally came down to our level so we played them three seasons in a row, and somehow didn’t win any. I think it ended as four draws and two defeats in the six matches. We were gagging to celebrate victory over our bitter rivals, and the best chance    was probably during our run-in in 2002(?), when McCammon(sp?) famously headed down and bounced it over the bar from about 10 yards out. Given my height, we deliberately asked to be sat on the back row, and got given the third row… And of course, there were kids behind me. We swapped of course, much to the chagrin of the guys in Row 5!
Reading
a recent one - left my wife to fend for herself in the post-Christmas Reading sales, and went with the lads to see Brentford win, with Sergi Canos scoring an absolute beauty. It was my first actual game for around five years(!), and obviously I was out of practice because I nearly went down when Sergi’s goal went in - I was lucky that my mate saw me and held on! And my glasses went flying in the process and could easily have been smashed, but were somehow preserved - all this in the process of a minute-long group hug!! The joys of football!!
Scunthorpe
FA Cup 2nd Round - we played awfully at times and eventually lost. Memorable for travelling with my mate from Sheffield, both in Bees shirts, and seeing the stadium from the train… And then watching the stadium recede from view and eventually disappear. And then having another minute or two before the train pulled into the station! So we knew that we were in for a bit of a walk. We got off the train to be confronted by a large group of police - we were the only two football fans on the train, it seemed! The police looked at us and shrugged and turned to leave. We asked for a lift but they laughed and drove away. Fortunately we turned the route into something of a pub crawl (we had time), so it worked out pretty well (aside from the game, but that’s quite standard!).
Sheff Utd
Chris and I offered to organise a trip for the newcomers at our student halls of residence in Freshers Week. Don’t think we made any friends out of it, but still, it felt like we contributed!
Sheff Wed
did a fair few games at Hillsborough, with three of my best mates at uni being Wednesday fans. I remember an insane duel between Gerald Sibon and Peter Crouch which the former won 3-2 (I think Sheff Wed won 5-2 overall, which I particularly enjoyed against bloody QPHa). Also fondly recall a    game where I went as an away fan to see the Bees - we had a man sent off and they scored the penalty early, but we held on and then scored two in a minute late on, so the 400 or so of us in the away end went absolutely potty. It was during that unfortunately brief run where Alex Rhodes looked awesome before Paul McShane took him out (never forget). We cleared a corner and Rhodes motored past them to set up Deon Burton for the winner - you beauty!!
Southampton
the infamous FA Cup debacle. Shambolic organisation from Brentford but fortunately we got our tickets sorted, and of course the game was a cracker (we were on Match of the Day and Isaiah Rankin was even nominated for goal of the month!). We carried on enjoying ourselves in the city centre until 9 or 10pm before getting the last train back, but we were getting some seriously moody looks in the pubs and clubs by evening - never really liked Southampton fans since that day (apologies to any decent ones reading this).
Southend
my Dad ended up moving to within walking distance, but I went a few years earlier and saw them smash us 4-1. They ended up getting promoted ahead of us that season - fair play to them.
Stoke
really enjoyed the match I saw at the Britannia Stadium - think it was the same season as we ended up meeting in the playoff final, which was awful (for us), but the game at Griffin Park that year was great too (their baldy Icelandic striker was sent off in front of us, haha, bye bye!). The game at Stoke was brilliant, passionate, intense, high quality - they ended up winning 3-2, and the noise when they scored was very impressive (deafening us with bloody Delilah for minutes afterwards). Another abiding memory was looking for somewhere to drink near the station afterwards - and being faced with an utter ghost town. I’m sure we found some fun on our journey home, but it was totally bizarre to see how lifeless the area around the station was.
Swindon
managed to do a few trips here too, with a good uni mate in Swindon. Unfortunately, my mind is playing tricks on me - I think I was there for Paul Brooker’s wondergoal, but maybe that’s because I’ve seen it that many times that I’ve confused myself. In a possibly related anecdote, I remember having a couple of pre-rolled joints with me in a glasses case for one of the games there, and I remember a polite steward pointing out to me that I’d dropped it (and them) on to the floor. He gave me a nod as I picked them up, and he kept an eye on me at half-time, so I waited until the walk back to the train station before sparking up!
Walsall
I know I went to the Bescot, and I remember stopping back in Birmingham on the way back, which was a good laugh. No idea what happened in the game itself though.
Wigan
first day of the 2001/02 season, weird place but some fun in the pubs, and calling Adrian Durham up on the way home (me being a stupid naive kid at the time) to set him straight about how Brentford weren’t useless (was proved right, we made the playoffs that year!)



Liverpool and Tottenham would have to be the two “big ones” that I’d want to get to now (always hope for them in the FA Cup) - I don’t know why but I couldn’t really care less about going to Man City, which is the only other major club that i haven’t been to yet.



Special mention:



Bury
we got all the way there (via train, metro and local bus) before being told the game was called off as we were two minutes away! Never made it back.
AFC Wimbledon
I’m not counting this, but I have been to Kingsmeadow (can’t recall the game now, but it was definitely a Kingstonian match, long before AFC were on the scene).


The lost grounds:


Brighton
went to the Withdean but not been to the new ground. The “Coca Cola Kid” Chris Moore got a late equaliser for us and then we got very, very drunk.
Chesterfield
went a couple of times but now they’ve moved. One was a blistering hot day where I foolishly lit up a cigarette within moments of taking my seat in the (wooden!!) away stand. Otherwise I remember Evo scoring a beauty, and a late equaliser (not necessarily in the same game!)
Colchester
I had a good friend at Essex Uni so Colchester-Bees games became a good excuse to visit. Again, this was before their recent move. And another example here of taking a friend to see dire lower-league fare, leaving the innocent companion wondering why anyone bothers.
Doncaster
my friend and I for a few years tried to find an interesting nearby game to attend for the First Round of the FA Cup, so we wandered over to Belle Vue to see Doncaster vs Scunthorpe (while we were studying in Sheffield). Little did we know that there’s a fierce rivalry between the teams, with plenty of aggro in the stands!
Hartlepool
FA Cup replay, young and reckless and fancied a weekend in Newcastle. Quality trip including a Bees win - got asked to calm down by a steward, naughty naughty.
Leyton Orient
don’t remember the game but Chris lived nearby so eventually had to get it ticked off. Being able to see into the nearby flats stuck in my mind.
MK Dons
went to the Hockey Stadium - predictably naff, and there was a fair bit of animosity among Brentford fans towards the Dons in general. I remember the city was a horrible soulless place (for any modern reader who is offended, we are talking a fair few years ago - I have no idea how it is now!). Pretty sure we had an early red card, and that it rained a lot (maybe just pre-match - I have a feeling that our stand didn’t have a roof, but the match was bearable).
Rotherham
went to Millmoor and watched Rotherham get promoted - think it was something crazy like we hit the bar late which would have denied them, but they went down the other end and banged one in to seal the deal, and they rightfully celebrated (it didn’t matter much to us).
Stockport
another FA Cup trip, early start and arriving in Stockport 11ish, terrorising the poor locals as we marched through the town centre. I’ve got a distinct memory too of irritating some locals in one of the pubs, but fortunately we managed to calm them down. Nipped out for a piss early in the match and wobbled back towards the stand, so some stewards started to cast a suspicious eye on me - I pleaded my case, saying that I was just excited for the Cup!
Torquay
a natural weekender with lots of good fun (before one of my mates got far far too drunk and spoiled it all - but these things happen!).
Wrexham
an epic! Late-season re-scheduled match that was the only game on that night, apart from the Liverpool-Chelsea Champions League semi-final! Scott Fitzgerald scored late to secure our spot in the playoffs. But the real fun was the journey home. Our car ran out of petrol near Birmingham due to a “communication issue” between driver and navigator (myself). It took ages to get sorted (during which time a lorry almost wiped us out), so when we hit the road again our driver was dangerously tired. We decided to take a break on the hard shoulder, with one of the lads sleeping in the boot but not really sleeping due to immense fear of someone driving into us. Don’t know why, we left the lights on to avoid such an issue. Woke an hour later to find that the battery had gone dead(!). I was forced to join the RAC to get roadside assistance, which came an hour later (so another quick nap in the meantime). Battery re-started, got back to Staines around 7am, so I reasoned there was no point going home to freshen up and just hopped straight on the train to work! The other lads called in sick - lame!
York
went with Chris during the first month or two at uni, with Orient as the opposition. Main funny memory being that Chris didn’t know where the ground was, and didn’t care much - his “plan” was that once we got there, we’d just pull up and ask people on the street. A different era, before smartphones etc! And York’s a big city that doesn’t care much about its football team, so finding the ground took a while, but we got there in the end.